Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tasting - Tinto Figaro



Name
: Tinto Figaro
Variety: 100% Garnacha
Region: Catalyud
Country: Spain
Year: 2009
Price: $6.95

Vintage Cellar Review: Figaro is 100% Garnacha, made from a selection of the best grapes
grown in the oldest vineyards. While not truly an "oaked wine", a
short stay in oak barrels provides a nice spicy flavor boost. Bright
violet. Dark berry and cherry aromas show a jammy aspect. Supple
and gently sweet, with good lift to its black raspberry and
boysenberry flavors. Smooth and broad on the finish, leaving
behind a hint of spiciness. Extremely easy to drink and an
excellent value.

My Review: Even though the Vintage Cellar's review said this wine was only oaked for a short amount of time, I got an intense amount of spice on the nose. There was surprisingly only a slight grape scent for being a red wine. There was also a cherry undertones and a little pepper included in the smell. Though the nose was pretty intense, the taste didn't pack as much punch as I was expecting, which is a good thing. There was much more pepper on the palate than on the nose however, both black and white. The spice didn't come through as much on the tongue as I expected it to either. Of the red wines at the tasting, this was definitely the one I liked the best. It wasn't the best wine I've ever tasted, but I did appreciate how the flavor was subtle and smooth.
I did not have any food with this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment