Thursday, March 28, 2013

Tasting - Emeri de Bortoli Sparkling Shiraz



Name
: Emeri de Bortoli Sparkling Shiraz
Variety: Shiraz
Region: Southeast
Country: Australia
Year: Non-varietal
Price: $9.95

Vintage Cellar Review: A relatively light, fresh style of sparkling Shiraz, with berries and hints of chocolate picking up just a sweet touch of sweet vanilla on the finish.

My Review: I really like sparkling wines, but I had never had one that was purely made with red wine. I'm used to white and roses being used for them, so I was intrigued to try this one. On the nose, this wine very much smelled like grape soda and very jammy. To the taste, I actually got a little mushroom and a bit of acidity that I don't normally get from red wines. It definitely had a fruity element, but it was more like a not-yet-ripe raspberry, so the fruit wasn't at its peak sweetness. I think if I was able to pair this wine with food, it would be much more enjoyable and I think I would get much more sweetness out of it.
I did not have an food with this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment