Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tasting - Potluck Sweet Malbec



Name
: Potluck Sweet Malbec
Variety: Malbec
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2010
Price: $7.95

Vintage Cellar Review: Deep red brilliant with violet hints. Complex, fruity, and
predominant red fruits. Easy to drink, round with persistent
sweetness, very well balanced with sweet tannins.

My Review: For this wine, it smelled pretty strongly of raspberry and pear. Since this wine was purposely made a little sweeter, it had more of a jammy smell to it than a fruity smell. Surprisingly, it tasted very floral on the tongue, which I didn't really detect at all on the nose. The name was a little deceiving because I didn't really think this wine tasted as sweet as I expected it to be. Then again, I am comparing its sweetness to Rieslings and sweeter Moscatos, so I guess I have high standards on what I consider to be "sweet" when it comes to wines. Aside from the floral, this wine also had a little spice on the finish as well. Though I was somewhat disappointed that it wasn't as sweet as I'd hoped, I did appreciate the wine and its flavors. I've learned through my own wine journey thus far that I'm a big fan of floral tasting wines, so I was really excited to find a red wine that had that component. Overall, I thought this was a really decent wine and I would definitely try it again.
I did not have food paired with this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment