Thursday, April 11, 2013

Tasting - Smoking Loon Sauvignon Blanc



Name: Smoking Loon Sauvignon Blanc
Variety: Sauvignon Blanc
Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2009
Price: $7.95

Vintage Cellar Review: This bleached blonde beauty is reminiscent of fresh green apples,
pineapple and has hints of hibiscus blossoms. The concentration
of zesty lemon and gooseberry fills your mouth leaving notes of
thyme and melon behind. The bright acid in this wine gives you a
zing while the fruit keeps your mouth watering for more. This wine
pairs beautifully with a grilled prawn salad with a grapefruit
vinaigrette, veggie spring rolls or grilled tilapia with mango salsa.

My Review: On the nose, I got a lot of pear with a hint of apple. There was also a spike of heat on the back end of the smell and a little creaminess. The taste was very mild, nothing that got your taste buds going. I definitely got a creamy vanilla flavor/texture in it and the pears and apple were very apparent on the tongue. I also sensed a slight carbonation to this wine, but it was barely palpable. The creamy-vanilla flavor suggests that this wine may have underwent a malolactic fermentation. Overall this wine was decent and I would be willing to have it again. However, I don't think I would go out of my way to buy it for myself necessarily.
I did not have any food with this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment