Thursday, April 11, 2013

Tasting - Torre Castillo Alegre



Name
: Torre Castillo Alegre
Variety: 100% Monastrell
Region: Jumilla
Country: Spain
Year: 2010
Price: $9.95

Vintage Cellar Review: 4 months in new American oak barrels
Bright ruby-red. Dried cherry, pipe tobacco and rose aromas, with
a hint of woodsmoke. Sweet and fleshy on the palate, with
blackberry and cherry flavors complimented by licorice and a
suggestion of dried herbs. The cherry and smoke notes repeat on
the finish.

My Review: This wine had probably the most interesting nose than any wine I've previously tasted. This wine smelled and actually tasted of a cinnamon stick. Though I've heard that wines could have hints of cinnamon, I've never experienced it myself until now. The cinnamon suggests that this wine spent a good amount of time in oak barrels, which the Vintage Cellar's review confirms. Also on the nose, the wine smelled like a combination of grape juice and grape jam. On the palate however, this wine was much more earthy, but as I said, the cinnamon stick was still very apparent. The wine had a dried-out fruit flavor, like a not-ripe raisin baking in the sun. Overall, this wine was pretty good and it was definitely the most interesting of the bunch. I would consider buying it for myself.
I did not have food paired with this wine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment