Friday, February 8, 2013

Tasting - Beringer Riesling

Though this wine was listed as the first on the Vintage Cellar's wine tasting list, Beringer Riesling was the second wine I tried on Thursday. The Vintage Cellar employee who was hosting the wine tasting said he preferred the Riesling to be second to the Chardonnay because it was a better taste progression. This Riesling is from the California region of the United States and from the year 2009. The Vintage Cellar is selling this wine bottle for $5.95. The grape variety for this wine is Riesling, as indicated in the name.

In the Vintage Cellar's review of Beringer Riesling, it stated, "This wine is the perfect balance of honeysuckle and bright peach flavors. A perfect compliment to light fare, appetizers, or just sharing with friends."

As for my own personal review, I was pretty disappointed when I tried this wine. As I've stated in my previous posts, I'm a Riesling girl through and through. However, of all the Rieslings I've tried, this nowhere near makes the top ten. It was very harsh on the nose and had a bitterness to it, which are not very common descriptions I would give Rieslings that I've had in the past. I definitely tasted slight peach tones to the Beringer, but they were so muted that I could barely say they were there. It overall was not sweet at all, which is another big characteristic to most Rieslings. There was a slight carbonation to the Riesling, as well, which I think added a pleasant kick to it. Overall, I probably won't ever try this wine again.

I did not have food with this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment