Sunday, February 17, 2013

Tasting - Lavarini Valpolicella Classico

The fourth wine I tried Thursday was Lavarini Valpolicella Classico. This 2010 wine is from the Valpolicella region of Italy. The grape variety is 65% Corvina Veronese, 25% Rondinella and
10% Molinara. The Vintage Cellar has this wine priced at $6.95.

The Vintage Cellar's review says, "The red ruby color and the dry taste give this
wine joviality and cordiality. It is fresh and fruity, with lovely strawberry and cherry aromas and flavors, with nice spice and a silky texture."

My own personal review of this wine is that it had an interesting flavor. The smell was very grapey, as reds tend to be, but also a strong pepper smell. I may have also detected a grassy smell, but it wasn't as pronounced as the pepper. The taste was very sharp pepper, almost as if someone were grinding fresh pepper straight into my mouth. This wine had no sweetness to it for me. This would not be a wine I would personally buy for myself, but I can appreciate the complexity of its taste.

I did not have any food with this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment