Sunday, February 17, 2013

Tasting - Gabriella Chianti

The final wine I tried Thursday was the Gabriella Chianti. This 2008 wine is from the Tuscany region of Italy. The grape variety is solely Sangiovese. The Vintage Cellar has this wine priced at $7.95.

Vintage Cellar review: "This beautiful wine has the very deep red, almost purple, color that you would expect in a Chianti. The first thing you notice is the fruit, balanced by a bit of spice. It’s a good dry wine with a bold flavor. Even with it’s boldness, this Chianti is velvety smooth."

My review: I definitely admired the color of this wine first off. As it mentions in the Vintage Cellar's review, it was a beautiful deep purplish burgundy. As for the smell, I definitely got hints of strawberry and maybe some blackberry. The taste was pretty harsh with alcohol. There must have been an outrageous amount of tannins in this wine because the moment the wine hit my tongue, I felt like all of the moisture had been sucked out of my mouth with a vacuum. I think that's the most noticeable amount of tannins that I've ever experienced. I was curious to try this wine because my parents rave about Chiantis. It's not exactly my cup of tea just yet. This is definitely a macho wine.

I did not have any food with this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment