Sunday, February 3, 2013

Tasting - La Cappuccina Soave

This past Thursday, the first wine I tried at The Vintage Cellar's wine tasting was La Cappuccina Soave. The grape variety is Garganega and it's from the Veneto region of Italy. The year for the wine was 2011. As we learned in class, it is better for white wines to be more recent in year because they don't necessarily hold well with age. The Vintage Cellar has this bottle of wine priced at $7.95. As this is my first wine tasting, and really my first time in a store especially made to sell wine, I was surprised by how cheap a lot of the wines I tasted that day were.

As for The Vintage Cellar's review for the wine, they say it is "Bright straw yellow in color. Delicate on the nose with notes of flowers and almonds. Dry and well-structured and delicately fruity, with hint of bitter almonds on the finish that is typical of Garganega-based wines."

For my own personal review, I thought the wine was decent, but it wouldn't be one that I would personally buy for myself. Upon smelling it, I definitely got the dryness of the wine right away and the same goes for when I tasted it. I definitely tasted a bitter note in it, although I did not necessarily detect the bitterness as coming from an almond flavor, although my palate is not exactly mature just yet. Though the fruitiness of the wine was subdued to me, I definitely detected it upon tasting the wine. I think I may have gotten almost a muted grapefruit flavor out of it, which I personally believe is one of the best flavors to be found in white wines. Other than that, I thought the wine was kind of plain. It had nothing that made me necessarily want to try it again.

I did not pair any food with this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment